I have always had a hard time memorizing scripture, but I know it is important.
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you"
Psalm 119:11
So I did as so many suggest, I put scripture on cards in obvious places around the house...and overlooked them. Here is one I overlook every day in my kitchen cabinet.
Then I did Beth Moore's study, Believing God....which I highly recommend. She tells how to take scripture and turn it in to prayer. She suggests putting scripture cards on rings. Not only do you write the scripture on the card, you also rewrite the scripture in your own words as a prayer back to God. Here is an example of one of mine....
So I did that for a little while ... until I got bored with it too.
I was feeling guilty, knowing that God does so much for me, why can't I seem to do a little for Him?
If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will and it shall be done for you. John 15:7
I got to thinking about what would motivate me...I do love to embellish ordinary things around the house, so why not my prayer life too. I came up with a prayer ring that has ribbons, charms, and all things girlie! This is my old one. It is pink and has Valentine's stuff on it..
When I start getting disenchanted with my prayer ring, it is time to collect some new scriptures and embellishments. Then it is new all over again. Right now I am really in to blue. It makes me think of peace and rest. So I bought new blue ribbon. I also bought a few new charms that have silver and blue.
I love my new one so much, I keep picking it up and reading the scriptures. I need to come up with a clever little name to call it...just to make it more fun. Any suggestions?







4 comments:
Me and my hubby have been busy painting out kitchen cabinets, and while we were doing that the rest of the house fell apart :) You know how it goes. So I've been busy putting things back together.
That is a great idea. I think my wife would be a little worried if I started "embellising" my note cards and journals however. Good to see that works for you. Keep up the good work! How is the memorizing going now?
very pretty
Christopher...I quickly checked out your site and can't wait to grab a few minutes to read more of it. The memorizing is still hard, but gets easier the more I look at the cards. Some scriptures stick and some don't. I try to focus on a few at a time. Do you have suggestions??? I need all of the help I can get!
Post a Comment