Tuesday, May 20, 2008

so sorry Jimmy

Dear Mr. Carpet Salesman, 

I have had this conversation over and over in my head since I left the store.  I felt so awkward and I know you did too.  I know we were both trying to do the right thing, but now we are both feeling...regretful.  

I was thrilled to come order my new carpet today. Since my Meredith was in town last week, we finally have all of the details taken care of for the living room.  It is going to be wonderful and the rug is going to be the culminating detail.  After looking at several different swatches, we both agreed on the same one.  Mister even liked it too.  I had a skip in my step as I headed your way.  I knew you would also approve.  We were all going to be so happy.

As soon as the door opened, I felt yucky.  The way the two of you have desks right there at the entry way...facing each other so you can capture any client that enters the showroom.  I immediately wished She hadn't noticed me.  Did you notice that I walked straight to you?  I know you felt it was the right thing to do to send me to her desk when you saw the quote on the back of her business card.  Yes Jimmy, I agree with you. She should have said, "Oh, I know you always work with Jimmy.  I really didn't help you that day he was out of the office for another client, you already knew exactly what you needed.  I just followed you back there and wrote a quote on my business card so I could claim this sale."

You see,  I already knew what I wanted that day. I just needed  a round about price...for Mister's approval.  She really didn't do more than 10 minutes of conversation with me, and mainly about darlin', not carpet.  I know you told us business was slow. That is why I feel so regretful.  I should have insisted that you always give me the best customer service a frazzled, toddler totein' mom could ever hope for and the sale goes to you.  

I really felt awful when you left the room and then sat in the way back as if you couldn't stand to watch her write up the order.  I tried to make it obvious by mentioning that you specially delivered our last carpet on your way home from work, in your own truck, on your Saturday afternoon.  I even said "Bye Jimmy!" as I left to help her know that we are on a first name friendship...you had already left.

I have called twice.  She said you went out for lunch.  I called an hour later, and she said you should be back soon because you had been gone awhile.  I know you must have called your wife and told her that I betrayed you, or at least She did.  I'm not sure what to do now.  Please know that I have learned my lesson and will no longer take other carpet business cards quotes.  Also next time, I will ignore the other desk and look only for you.

Regretfully, me  


No comments: