Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I fancy

I am sad that the literary delight of Abundance is over.  ok really...I found parts of it hard to keep up with,  but the rich details and day dreamy feeling it gave kept me reading. I could not get enough of Naslund's frilly descriptions of the mental images of a prissy at the introduction of Marie Antoinette.   This is what I call true pink dreaming...a girl after my own dreams... the fancy wishes and frilly imagination of a little lady.  Check out some of her descriptions...
The sky blue silk of my discarded skirt wreathes my ankles, and I fancy I am standing barefooted in a puddle of pretty water.
Isn't that what your mind says as you kick off your jeans at the end of the day?  yeah...me too...  Like embellishing a house, these words prim up the text.  Look how she describes Maria's dog, Mops...
Mops!  More precious than any ornament of silver or gold because Mops is a living being who scampers across my heart with all four of his little feet!
and when she speak of her sister, isn't it spoken affectionately...

If my sister, my best and dearest sister and also dearest friend, if my Charlotte were with me, she would smile at my fancy.
Isn't this how you talk of your sister?  ha..I think this of my dear Molly but in no way does it sound this delightful..maybe it will after this read...  

I could go on and on.  After I finished reading, I started rereading just to hear my mind talking pretty.  For those of you who have been wondering...this is just a simple example of my pink dreaming.  If you want to relate, click here and read an excerpt from the book.  I think it is well worth it.  Think of it as decorating your mind like we all try to do for our homes:)
  

1 comment:

sassy seamstress said...

you are so funny. i never knew you were such a lover a words. i have really enjoyed learning all of these new things about you. i think you were born in the wrong era...you definitely should've been somewhere along the lines of Anne of Green Gables. way to live vicariously through your reading!!!